In Pattaya there are many International and Thai restaurants, so many that it can be hard to choose one, maybe not so much the restaurants themselves but the food choices.
You may have come to Pattaya for the first time or you have come a few times before and now you’re ready to try some Thai food, but so far you have found the choice is large and varied, very hard to decide, as it was for me…...
Below is my recommendation, a selection of some of my favourite Thai dishes and in no particular order. (My choice is usually with chicken, you can choose other meats or have a shrimp (goong) dish).
- Pad Thai (will come with shrimp, Pad Thai Gai is with chicken) A very tasty choice, noodles are dressed up with tofu, bean sprouts, onion, and crushed peanuts. You can add fish sauce, sugar, chili powder, and more crushed peanuts to suit your taste buds.
- Special Fried Rice (Kao Phad) with Chicken (Gai), Pork (Moo) or Shrimp (Goong). As well as rice, this comes with egg, onion, cilantro, garlic and tomatoes all chopped up, and not forgetting the added tender boneless chicken breasts, you can then Spice it up slightly to your taste with sweet chili sauce, also great by adding stir-fried fresh mixed vegetables (Phad Pak Ruan).
- Thai Yellow Curry with Chicken (Gaeng Karee Gai). The flavour of yellow curry is not much different than red or green, but yellow is more mild and has a richer vegetable taste. Boneless and skinless Chicken, potato, coconut milk and crunchy shallots (onion) on top, all served with Ajad, jasmine rice and a few sliced chilies.
- Braised Pork with Rice and a boiled Egg (Kao Ka Moo). This dish may seem an odd choice to make, but trust me, a very tasty and very cheap thai meal. Kao Ka Moo is slices of succulent pork from a pork leg that has been braised then simmered for 3 - 4 hours in a broth made with star anise, cinnamon, cumin, sugar, soy sauces, and Shitaki mushrooms, and served over a bed of rice with a home-made special ingredient source, and not forgetting topped off with a boiled egg, a very delicious one-dish meal.
- Pork & Noodle Soup (Guay Teow Moo). This fast food dish is surprisingly very tasty, a good take-away choice, the main ingredients include sliced pieces of tender pork, string noodles, scallion whites, garlic, ginger and mushrooms, all served with pork wonton wrappers and soup with scallion greens, cilantro and then add chili peppers and fish sauce to your taste.
- Noodles with Chicken or Pork (Pad See-Ew). Another tasty fast food dish, fried in a wok which includes flat and wide noodles, egg, sweet dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, minced garlic, sliced meat of choice, marinated in a light soy sauce and some vegetables.
- Flat Rice Noodles with meat or seafood (Rad-Na). Made with stir-fried wide rice noodles, some meat such as chicken, beef, pork or seafood, tofu, also garlic, straw mushrooms and kai-lan (Chinese Vegetable). The dish is then covered in a sauce made of stock and tapioca starch or cornstarch. It is seasoned with sweet soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and black pepper. In Thailand people often sprinkle some additional sugar, fish sauce, sliced chillies in vinegar.
- Thai BBQ Buffet, Eat as much as you want (any meat for 199 baht and a plate of king prawns 20 baht or any seafood for 399 baht). First you choose a table then immediately after they will put a clay pot already fired-up with charcoal into a steel canister on your table and the aluminum cooking tray on top of that “Moo Ka Ta” for the soup around the edge and BBQ cooking in the centre. Now you can go to help yourself at the buffet and they have everything you can imagine, a varied choice of seafood, chicken, beef, pork, liver, bacon, salad, vegetables, seaweed, rice and much more, also some mild or really spicy chili sauce plus many different desserts to choose from, including a selection of fruits, cakes and ice cream.
Birds & Bees Resort - Cabbages & Condoms Restaurant
The long walk through the gardens from the entrance to the restaurant is humorous and entertaining, you just feel that you will be in for something special at the end, a great experience with a fun theme setting. You can choose to eat inside or outside, but very popular to sit and eat outside on the decking directly overlooking the beach itself, to witness the amazing ocean and sunset views, this is what makes this place very special. At Cabbages & Condoms Restaurant the Thai and Western food is very good with excellent service, and all at very reasonable prices considering the venue.
The Cabbages and Condom's business are not just a gimmick, they support worthy causes including the schools of rural Thailand, HIV awareness and family planning programs. I recommend this place, well worth the trip just to have a look around.
Address: 366/11 Moo 12 Phra Tam Nak 4 Road Muang, Nongprue Banglamung Chon Buri, Pattaya, Thailand 20150
Hours: Open. 2pm–12am Phone: +66 38 250 556 Please check my Pattaya Street Map for location.
Pattaya Thai Restaurant, Half-way along Soi Buakhao straight opposite the sports world pub, a very popular Restaurant for International visitors and expats alike. Tasty and cheap Thai food, plus a very good varied menu in (Thai & Eng), lovely young waitress service, who appear not to smile much, but are friendly and helpful, they can also speak very good English.
The Restaurant has free Wi-Fi and outlet facilities for charging your phone (20 Baht), you can keep helping yourself to free water & Ice or pay for a soft drink, the place can get very busy, especially at the weekends, so I recommend you try it out during the week, you won't be disappointed.
The only draw-back can be parking, for a motorbike this is usually OK, for a car you will need to find somewhere close-by.
Pattaya Street Food
Quick take away food, a very cheap alternative if you have a low budget and can be found almost on every street within Pattaya City itself, a backpacker’s delight and theirs a wide variety of food including, fried rice with chicken, pork, beef or shrimp, noodle soup, rice soup, stir fried noodles, boiled eggs, barbecued meats, sausages, fish and insects, also a selection of fruits, banana pancakes and ice-cream to name just a few.
For those that are not interesting in Thai food and would prefer food that taste just like it's from their home country or other International food delicacies, then Pattaya can provide for you with many world class International Restaurants around, including Pubs of all nationalities, mainly found at Beach Road, Soi 6, Soi 7, Soi 8, soi Buakhao, Walking Street, Jomtien Beach Road, soi 5 and soi 7.